Were You At
Mowbray Park - Picton
History Photo Album 1880 - 1959
Mowbray Park History
In April 1821a young Scotsman Daniel Maclaine Ross made a formal application to travel to the Colonial Office applying for a grant of land. He left Scotland in June 1821 sailing on the Royal George with the Governor Elect of New South Wales Sir Thomas Brisbane, who had been sent word too relieve Governor Macquarie- a relative of Daniel Maclaine Ross. They arrived in Sydney on the 6th November “a promise” of a grant of land of 1000 acres in the County Of Camden was made by Sir Thomas Brisbane to Daniel Maclaine Ross – that grant to be known as “Seabright Park” was not fulfilled until October, 1830 but that did not prevent Maclaine Ross from selling conditionally in March 1824 to another Scotsman Dr William Panton.
The Solicitor involved in the conveyancing was William Charles Wentworth - Australia’s Greatest Statesman- who in his diary noted the fee for the transfer as “Twenty Spanish Gold Dollars”.
Within a year Dr Panton had another medico on his Eastern boundary, A Dr Elyard who had served in the British Fleet with Nelson at Trafalgar. Dr Panton renamed the property “Montpelier Park” and during the twelve years he held the property several famous explorers like Barralier, Sturt, Stephenson, and Cunningham passed through the property on their historical travels.
Origin of name of property William Barker was reputed to be a descendent of Geoffrey de Mandeville, the 1st Earl of Sussex, contemporary of Robert Mowbray. Mowbray is the name of an English Baronial Family. The name was derived from a place called Montbray New St Lo in Normandy. It was founded by Geoffrey de Montbray Bishop of Constance who was a statesman and principal advisor to William the Conqueror. After the great victory of 1066 his reward was a gift of 280 Manors in 12 Counties of England. A descendent, Roger changed the name to Mowbray and was one of the 25 Barons appointed to enforce the Magna Carta.
The mail line of the Mowbray’s became extinct when John Mowbray died in 1476, the titles and estates passing on to the Howards. While the Barkers were on holidays in England in 1877 a year after they purchased the property the House of Lords announced that Baron Stourton had successfully claimed the title of Baron Mowbray. On his return to Australia, William Barker named the property “Mowbray Park”. The Present homestead was built by his son, William Manderville Barker about 1884. He bought out an Architect from England to design the house which took some years to build. In the late 1890’s he added the North Eastern Wing which included a Ballroom. In July 1905 the private road from Mowbray Park to Picton via Thirlmere was constructed at the direction and expense of Manderville Barker, was given to the Government and officially gazetted in July 1905.
Acknowledgment for Waley photos Thank you Mrs T Hall of Woolahra
In September of that year the property was sold to Captain Frederick Waley who was awarded the C.B.E.in 1920 and knighted in 1923. The Barkers and the Waley’s spent a considerable amount of money approximately $2.000.000 in today’s currency developing the property. After W.W.1 Sir Frederick and Lady Waley allowed the Red Cross to use the property for the treatment of shell shocked soldiers and in March 1920 decided to donate the property to the Commonwealth Government. The gift was officially accepted by the Governor General Sir Ronald Munro Fergusson at a ceremony held in the grounds of Mowbray Park on the 3rd March 1920. The Waleys stayed on the management committee of what was known as “Waley Home”.
Acknowledgment for photos Waley Home Thanks to Red Cross Album State Library of NSW
Three acres of Orchard
The Vegetable Garden
Pations working in the garden
Garage & Coach-House
Pations working in Vegetable garden
The driveway in front of main house
A lean to built on the back of the barn
The Vegetable Garden
By the end of 1924, the Repatreation Hospital no longer had the number of patients to justify it's continual use as a Convalescent hospital and the property was sold in 1925 to B.H.P. Ltd Australia's largest company.
B.H.P used Mowbray Park as a local headquarters for their coal drilling operations in the Shire of Wollondilly. B.H.P donated Mowbray Park to the “Dr Barnardo’s Homes Organisation” in 1928, its President Sir Arthur Rickard had tried unsuccessfully for years to purchase the property..
Broken Hill Pty Ltd
Landscape of the property
Showing the main house the Chaffeur's cottage and Orchard
Dr Barnardo's Homes
1929 to 1959
IN 1928 Dr Brnardo's Homes took possession of the property with the intention of turning it into a Farm Training School for UK children under their care. A large amount of money had to be out laied to renovate the existing buildings, also build new cottages for the next parties arriving in 1930.
Attached is a copy of Barnardo's 1928 Annual Report with a good discription of the property.
The Chaffeurs Cottage
The Old Barn
The Overseers Cottage
and Main Gates
The Main House
The Gardeners Lodge
Large Cart Shed
Two New Cottages Built for the 1930 Party
School in the Old Barn
The Old School turned into the New Chapel 1936
THE OLD SCHOOL TURNED INTO THE NEW CHAPEL
The New Dairy Feed Stalls and Barn built around 1936-7
HIGGS & LITCHFILD COTAGES BUILT 1937
THE NEW POULTRY FARM BUILT 1937
The New Cottages Higgs & Litchfield also the new Poultry Farm built around 1936-7
Millions Club Cottage Opened in 1939 by Sir Arthur Rickard
Roland Paxton came to Australia at the age of ninteen, he came from a farming family in the UK and worked on farms in Australia. He did a short stint in the Air Force and was discharged with an injury to his back. In 1940 he obtained the position of Farm Manager under Captain Reece and in 1942 took over as the Superintendent of the Farm School. In fact the farm at Mowbray Park was privately leased to the Paxton Family during the war and the few boys remaining worked in the various sections to provide the ncessary labour